dinsdag 28 augustus 2012

Marina

It's been a few weeks ago, but the images still go through my mind. The huge stage, the craziness of Defoe, who really felt the story he was telling while the images besides and behind him show the story to the audience, Marinas firm look when she plays the role of her mother, and of course, of course, Antony, who was dressed in a beautiful costume and literary stood in front of me, and it seemed that the rest of the venue had disappeared and he was just singing for me.

I had heard about the hype. I'd heard about the demand of tickets, and I decided not to join in. I didn't really know this Abramovic lady and the amount of the tickets made me resentful to learn more about her. But then the possibility presented itself to get a bang for my buck and I ended up, literary in front of the stage with the images, the texts and the music flowing over me into the rest of the venue.

Only then, I understood the hype that was buzzing through Amsterdam. Afterwards, I wanted more. More Marina, more stories. Thanks to Holland Doc I got more. The tv show Profile spend an episode on her project Meet the Artist in Moma, where she sat on a chair and look at the person who sat in front of her. I knew the story and I knew about the emotions of the visitors. But I didn't understand. I had to see it, her performance, I had to see her, and the people sitting opposite of her, looking back, each in their own way. Then I understood. And I was watching the television with tears in my eyes. No, I cried. Just like the people facing her. Just like herself.
I've been trying to put it into words, what it exactly is that makes me cry and touches me. But I can't find the right words. Probably, that is just what makes it so touching: there are no words. That's what art is about.


Geen opmerkingen: